Texas Governor Greg Abbott is making a move to protect a portion of the population that has been hit particularly hard by COVID-19.
Abbott is directing all residents and staff at Texas nursing homes to be tested for the virus. The Texas Health and Human Services Commission, Texas Division of Emergency Management, and Texas Department of State Health Services are being asked to put this together. State officials say 20% of all Texas nursing homes have had at least one positive case of the virus.
Bar owners have not been allowed to re-open their businesses yet. They are planning a rally in Austin today. Organizer Jay Norman, owner of Biggles Lounge & Sports Café, told our TV partner Channel 2 it's not right.
“Gyms, salons, grocery stores, banks, everybody else is allowed to be open,” Norman said. “Sports bars and bars do not have a definite date, and there’s no reason for it.”
- Houston Methodist Hospital says the strain of the virus they are seeing is the mutated strain that is reportedly more contagious.
- Thousands that didn't get their IRS stimulus checks ye are not happy.They have signed an online petition demanding answers. But, the IRS says if you don't upload your bank account information by tomorrow's deadline, you will get your check by mail.
- Houston City Council Member Letitia Plummer has tested positive for COVID-19. She attended a city council meeting the day before she showed symptoms.
- Kroger has plans to open five new drive through testing locations across the greater Houston area.
- The Greater Houston area reported eight deaths yesterday for a total of 338.
- The state of Texas reported 33 new deaths for a total of 1,117.
- Galveston has officially cancelled its 4th of July fireworks show because of the large crowd it attracts.
- Raising Cane's announces they will hire 5,000 new workers across the U.S. and will also give out $2 million in bonuses to current employees.
- Typhoon Texas is looking to hire 1,000 people for the summer season. The Katy water park will pay between minimum wage and $15 per hour.