The hotel industry has been especially hard hit by "Stay-At-Home" orders. The coronavirus crisis has changed the way Houston hotels operate.
Justin Bragiel of the Texas Hotel and Lodging Association says, "We have come out with new protocols about how we engage with our guests while social distancing, how we go about cleaning and sanitizing hotel rooms, how when possible we place an empty room between 2 occupied ones."
Bragiel says Houston hotel occupancy has fallen 85 per cent and they are facing difficulties. "Their biggest challenge is about paying their mortgage. We're going to be looking at a lot of bankruptcies and foreclosures in the future. I just think this will be life in the industry's future for a period of time." Houston hotels have laid off or furloughed 85% of their staff.
"Houston Hotels are running around 10% occupancy in the Greater Houston Area right now. That compares to low 70s% at this time last year. 2020 is going to be a "lost year" for the travel industry - especially for the hotel segment."
From The American Hotel and Lodging Association Web Site::
The American Hotel & Lodging Association (AHLA) unveiled its Safe Stay guidelines on Monday, an effort made in conjunction with major brands like Wyndham, Hilton, Marriott and Best Western to standardize cleanliness.
· Hand-washing and hand sanitizer use; dispensers, when possible, should be at major employee and guest entrances and contact spots, such as lobby reception and employee entrances.
· Signs reminding employees and guests how to wear, handle and throw away masks.
· A major boost in cleaning practices, with places like hotel guest elevators, front desk check-in stations and public bathrooms cleaned frequently.
· A request that housekeepers not enter a guest room during a stay unless asked to by guest, or otherwise adhere to established safety protocols.
· For guests: Physical distancing of at least 6 feet from other groups of travelers.
· For employees: Physical distancing in dining rooms, training classrooms and more; front desk agents should use every other workstation.
· Contactless check-in encouraged when possible.
Photo: Marriott Twitter