If your kids aren't interested in college - but still want a well-paying career that's in demand - a welding school could be their answer.
Business Analysts say the U.S. will need 400,000 welders withing the next 4 years! Hillary Collins of Arclabs Welding School explains why. “There are a lot of welders who have been doing this for a long time. They are getting ready to retire. As our country continues to upgrade our infrastructure – there are so many construction jobs of many kinds that are becoming available.”
Collins says starting salaries are good (around $20 an hour), and salaries for experienced welders are REALLY GOOD (from $50 to $100 an hour).. This is what she's looking for in a candidate.
- Good with your hands.
- You don't want to sit at a desk all day.
- You aren't afraid of hard work and often working 10 hours a day.
- You can be creative.
- You can stand some heat and occasionally wearing a respirator.
- You could, if necessary, occasionally work on projects that are way up high! (welders can work on skyscrapers)
- You like a change of scenery from time to time. Welders are needed all around the world all the time. You could be welding on work-out equipment or be on a job in the Oil and Gas industry,
Collins says industries like construction, manufacturing and aeronautics are looking TODAY, and she firmly believes the dire need will go on for at least 4 more years.