Pay a little extra attention if you're filling up with gas this morning. The Texas Department of Agriculture found seven credit card skimmers at two Houston-area gas stations in the last week.
One was found at a Valero station on NASA road just off the Gulf Freeway at a Valero station on the North Loop at Wayside in northeast Houston. The devices have been removed.
The State Department of Agriculture offers the following tips to protect your personal information:
• Use pump closest to storefront, in line of sight for store personnel
• Before pumping, check for unusual Bluetooth signals with ID of string of numbers and letters; might be a skimmer
• Check that security tape on pump cabinet has not been damaged. Torn tape might indicate cabinet opened without store personnel's knowledge
• Safest bet is to pay inside with cash
• Always save the receipt and monitor your bank statements after filling up.
• If you think you've been skimmed, contact 1-800-TELL-TDA and we will send an inspector to check it out.