Plastic cases have more than six times the germs found on a lavatory seat.
"Studies have shown that the germs and bacteria that harbor on cellphones, particularly on leather cases, can harbor germs and bacteria for months and years if not cleaned properly," said Worldwide cleaning industry association ISSA’s Debbie Sardone.
She said clean your cell with a disinfectant wipe and don't forget to wash your hands frequently with warm soapy water—especially after someone else hands you their cellphone to look at photos or anything else.
"Nearly 40 percent say they are taking their cell phones and using them into the restroom, but only about 20 percent of people admit to cleaning the cellphone after leaving the restroom," said Sardone.
- Cell phones = 7 times dirtier than a toilet seat
- Handbag = 10 times dirtier than a toilet seat
- Faucet = 21 times dirtier than a toilet seat
- Kitchen sponge = 456 dirtier than a toilet seat
- Carpet = 700 dirtier than a toilet seat