The top 10 movies according to AMC Theaters were:
- Black Panther—Third highest-grossing film of all time
- Avengers: Infinity War—Fourth highest-grossing film of all time
- Incredibles 2—Highest-grossing animated film of all time
- Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom—Star Chris Pratt’s third highest-grossing film
- Deadpool 2—Star Ryan Reynolds’ second highest-grossing film
- Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle—Stars Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart and Jack Black’s highest-grossing film
- Mission: Impossible - Fallout—Star Tom Cruise’s second highest-grossing film
- Ant-Man and the Wasp—Star Paul Rudd’s second highest-grossing film
- Solo: A Star Wars Story—Director Ron Howard’s third highest-grossing film
- Venom—Star Tom Hardy’s third highest-grossing film
Houston Film Critics Society president Joshua Starnes said Marvel still rules the roost in the US and across the world. Black Panther pulled in $700 million at the box office the third highest grossing film, domestically, of all time.
Disney was successful with Avengers: Infinity War, which had every single Marvel character into one movie. Incredibles 2 was the highest grossing Pixar movie. Starnes said those successes put Disney over the billion dollar mark, faster than any studio in history.
Starnes said Universal’s Jurrasic World: Fallen Kingdom (the only non-Disney film) that grossed more than a billion dollars worldwide.
Starnes added that Venom was a surprise success headed for $800 million worldwide, which makes it the second highest grossing Spiderman movie, after Spiderman: Homecoming and maybe Spiderman 3.
What to look forward to in 2019:
According to IMDB, the most anticipated movies of 2019 are:
- Star Wars: Episode IX
- Untitled Avengers Movie
- Toy Story 4
- The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
- The Lion King
- Spider-Man: Far From Home
- John Wick: Chapter 3
- How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
Starnes said Wonder Woman was expected to be released in November 2019, but has been pushed back to July 2020.
He said movie goers can look forward to next year: Captain Marvel in March with Brie Larson playing the lead. The first time a female led superhero since Wonder Woman.
That’s a lead-up to Avengers Four coming out in May, which has been hush-hush without even a trailer leaked.
He said he’s looking forward to Spiderman: Far From Home.
For parents the Detective Pikachu movie with the voice of Ryan Reynolds will come out next year.
If history is indication—the big attraction will be at the end of next year when Star Wars: Episode IX comes out.