Got a meeting or two today? Would you rather get a root canal?
If you think meetings are a waste of time you’re partially correct. Global staffing company Robert Half’s Accountemps surveyed business professionals, and found they estimate 25% of the time spent around the conference table is wasted time.
They’re not happy that 20% of their workday is spent in meetings, either.
These were the top complaints:
- Starts or ends late: 66%
- It’s unnecessary (e.g., could’ve been handled over email): 63%
- Too much or not enough time allotted: 57%
- Attendees distracted (using phone, checking email, doodling, etc.): 57%
- Attendees interrupt each other: 55%
- Not sticking to an agenda when one is provided: 49%
- Attendees unprepared: 47%
It’s only a small consolation that 20% of meetings today are conducted through online meeting platforms.
In the financial sector, 36% of bosses admit they are less engaged during those remote encounters, but say 47% of their workers are not paying attention.