Florida Doctors Remove 8-Inch Screwdriver From Man's Rectum

According to an article in the National Institutes of Health publication, the man pushed the screwdriver up his rectum by himself.

Dr. Youssef Shaban wrote “the patient recovered and was discharged to Behavioral Health for inpatient treatment of his psychiatric disorders.”

The 46-year-old unnamed man arrived at Kendall Regional Medical Center in Miami in life-threatening septic shock.

The man, who also suffers from schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, complained about abdominal and pelvic pain at the hospital.

The screwdriver was discovered by a CT scan.

Measured at 8.2 inches long and 1.1 inches wide, it managed to pierce the man’s large intestine.

In the report, the authors stated:

"The earliest reported cases of anorectal trauma due to foreign body (FB) insertion date back to the 1500s. Since then there have been astonishing accounts of various objects being inserted into the anus described in the literature. Objects documented include lightbulbs, sex toys, toothbrushes, drugs, cell phones, fruits, vegetables, and in one incidence a frozen pig's tail."

The report stressed that medical staff should maintain an open mind when evaluating patients with lower stomach or rectal pain because they "may not be forthcoming with information" because of embarrassment or a psychological condition.