What I told you Tuesday still applies. This morning county officials had a lot to say about what to expect today and about roadway conditions. Closures are still in effect for Wednesday. Here is what we learned at 6am...
Harris County officials provided an update at 6am to discuss conditions in our area:
- The word of the day is "patience." There are still lots of road closures on surface streets so neighborhoods are also impassable.
- In the last 24 hours, 582 crahses, including minor and major, even pedestrian accidents have been reported. One person got out of their car and was hit by another car.
- Tollways are waived until 3pm, but drivers are advised to check roadways to be sure you can get through.
- Overnight temperatures were still in the teens and 20's this morning. Temperatures are still expected to be above freezing after 11am and sunny so it'll help melt the ice.
- Drivers along 59 the Southwest Freeway in Fort Bend County have been trapped for hours. the ice on the freeway has been/is being treated but needs to melt before it's reopened. We are still below freezing.
- Stay in the house because if you want to go get something to eat or grab something from the grocery store, they can't even be supplied.
Hear the entire statement provided by Harris County Judge Ed Emmett, Harris County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management, Harris County Flood Control District, Harris County Sheriff’s Office, Texas Department of Transportation, Harris County Toll Road Authority, and METRO (below):