We are in the midst of our second hummingbird season of the year - August and September. If you want to enjoy them on your property but don’t have plants that attract them, be sure to get the best hummingbird feeder out there.
Doesn’t it stand to reason that the experts at Wild Birds Unlimited would know a thing or two about attracting hummingbirds? That’s why I recommend you invest in the WBU hummingbird feeder over anything available at big box stores or mass merchandisers.
So, here’s an introduction to the best feeder around. And since we are all about Top 10 lists at GardenLine, here are the “Top 10 Reasons You Should Purchase the WBU Hummingbird Feeder.” It was compiled by Paul Fagala, owner of WBU on Memorial Drive.
- It is easy to clean. And it’s important to do a cleaning at least every three days to prevent contamination from mold, fungus and bacteria. The plastic pieces are top-rack dishwasher safe, and there is no bottle requiring a bottle brush to clean.
- The flowers on the feeder ports are molded into the plastic, so there’s no worry about them breaking off. They also help prevent rainwater from entering and diluting the nectar.
- It has a built-in ant moat. Ants can be attracted to the nectar and can contaminate it. Filling the moat with tap water will keep ants out.
- This feeder is bee- and wasp-resistant. Feeders with bottles are gravity-fed, and the nectar comes to the surface of the feeding ports making it easy for bees and wasps to reach. The nectar in WBU hummingbird feeders does not reach the ports, so bees and wasps can’t get to it. Hummingbirds, though, have no problem reaching the bottom of the feeder.
- The raised perch provides great views of the birds. One of the biggest joys of attracting hummingbirds is actually being able to watch them! The perch raises the birds above the feeder so you can see them better. There is also no bottle to block your view.
- It is leak-resistant. The dish-style feeder will not leak, even when it is blown by high winds.
- It can be hung or pole-mounted. There is even a window-mounted version.
- It is made in the U.S.A.
- It has a lifetime guarantee. Any defect will be repaired or replaced to put the feeder back into working order.
- If you forget the nectar recipe, it is conveniently written on the feeder dish.
Mix four parts water to one part table sugar. Change the nectar every three days to prevent contamination. Store excess nectar in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.