Retail, malls, movies are back open to 25% capacity, as are restaurants for dine-in services. Steve Onstad of the Swinging Door BBQ told our TV partner Channel 2 they are taking extra precautions.
”Wipe, clean, sanitize. That’s what we do," said Onstad. “We always practice that in the restaurant business, but we’re doing it on steroids now if you will.”
Malls like The Galleria, Baybrook Mall, Willowbrook Mall, The Woodlands Mall, First Colony Mall, and Deerbrook Mall re-open. Memorial City won't, but some restaurants will.
- Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton says hair salons, bars, and gyms can't open today. Montgomery County Judge Mark Keough had said the executive order from Governor Greg Abbott was unclear. Henry Walker did open Legacy Barbell yesterday, as promised.
- Galveston's beaches are open once again today. Officials say they are getting ready for big crowds.
- Thirty severely sick Houston Methodist COVID-19 patients treated with the blood plasma from people who beat the disease have recovered and have been discharged.
- The Greater Houston area reported 12 deaths yesterday for a total of 232.
- The state reported 53 deaths for a total of 812. The mainstream media says the high number means Texas should not re-open today, but those may not be real time numbers.
- And the first pro sport shut down by the virus announced its return. NASCAR will be back for its first race - without fans - on May 17th at Darlington Raceway in South Carolina.