An accident has caused damage to a major part of 59 Eastex Freeway that has it shut down for repair through the weekend. The accident happened Friday morning when an heavy truck going northbound on Eastex Freeway, activated the hydraulic lift, moving the truck trailer up high into the air as the truck was traveling under the 610 Overpass. The highways will now need repair that will take all weekend.
Texas Department of Transportation has now issued this advisory for local drivers:
- The Texas Department of Transportation will make emergency repairs to the concrete barrier wall on I-610 North Loop eastbound over I-69 Eastex northbound this evening. The concrete barrier wall was struck by a heavy truck traveling northbound on I-69 as it passed underneath IH 610 North Loop on May 5.
- To facilitate the closure, all mainlane of I-69 Eastex northbound at IH 610 North Loop will be closed Friday, May 5 at 9 p.m. until Sunday, May 7 at 5 a.m. Motorist traveling on I-69 Eastex northbound will be detoured to I-610 North Loop eastbound mainlanes, take the Lockwood exit, u-turn at Lockwood, continue on the I-610 North Loop frontage road to the I-69 Eastex northbound frontage road to re-enter the mainlanes of I-69 Eastex northbound.
- Also, the outside (right) lane of I-610 North Loop westbound at I-69 Eastex will be blocked.
- Motorists should expect delays and may want to consider an alternate route. Police officers will be on site to assist with traffic control. For more information on scheduled lane closures in the Houston District contact Danny Perez at (713) 802-5077.
- Also be sure to visit the Houston TranStar website at www.houstontranstar.org for a complete of list of Houston District closures. All closures are subject to change due to inclement weather. Follow us on Twitter @TxDOTHoustonPIO.