Fast food walkouts are expected across the nation and right here in Houston.
Below are the 5 ways fast food messes with your head!
1. The golden arches are designed to make you hungry. The combination of bright red and yellow somehow jumpstarts your metabolism. So you automatically get hungry when you see a McDonald's sign.
2. When you eat fast food, you have to keep eating it . . . or you'll get depressed. Studies found that eating a high-fat, high-sugar diet changes the chemical activity in your brain. And if you stop, you'll get anxious and sad.
3. Fast food can be as addictive as drugs. There are tons of studies about how eating fatty, sugar-filled foods can lead to compulsive behavior and stimulate your brain the way hard drugs do. The studies are usually on rats and mice, but still.
4. Fast food makes it harder to appreciate beauty. Researchers claim that just SEEING fast food logos can limit your ability to appreciate art and music. Because now you're more restless, and geared toward instant gratification.
5. You can't make good financial choices. Researchers interviewed people about money, and the people who were standing near a fast food restaurant during the interview made the worst decisions.
AND DO YOU LIVE NEAR A FAST FOOD RESTAURANT? ... THEN CHECK THIS OUT!
In particular, the study found (from self-reports on a survey) that those who live in a neighborhood with a high proportion of fast food restaurants glean less appreciation from looking at photos of natural beauty and report negative responses when listening to aesthetic melodies.