Two 12-year-olds are battling a rare "brain-eating amoeba" which has claimed the lives of 99-percent of the people it infects. 

First a girl in Arkansas, now a boy in Florida. Both contracted the meningitis infection known as PAM after swimming in warm stagnate water. 

However, experts say the amoeba only develops if pushed far up the nose. 

“The more typical story you hear is a water skiing accident where the patient lands on their face and water is driven up their nose,” says Dr. Charles Ericsson at UT Health and Science Center.

The infection is almost always fatal, but officials stress it is extremely rare.  The CDC only identified 31 cases between 2003 and 2012.

“I don't think parents should say that's it, you're never going swim in a lake in Texas anymore,” Ericsson tells KTRH News.  “I think that is being way too cautious, and being paranoid.”

Of the 128 cases reported since 1962, only one person has survived.