Houston Texans Head Coach Gary Kubiak was released from the hospital today after being cleared to leave shortly after 9:30a.m. this morning. 

He is expected to make a full recovery. However, it has not been determined when Kubiak will return to Reliant Stadium to resume his head coaching duties.

Official statement from Houston Texans Head Coach Gary Kubiak:

“I want to thank my family, the McNair family, the Texans organization, the doctors and staff at Houston Methodist and the entire Houston community for all the love and support we have received over the past three days.  I’ve been through an ordeal and my focus now is to get back to good health.  Doctors have told me I will make a full recovery but we have not determined when I will be cleared to return to the office. Again, thank you for the support and concern.”   

After multiple tests and diagnostics, medical officials conlcuded Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak experienced a transient ischemic attack (TIA), also known as a 'mini-stroke,' when he collapsed on the sideline during Sunday night's game at Reliant Stadium, according to NFL.com.  The Texans website originally cited sources with knowledge of Kubiak's condition, but the team was not able to medically determine or provide official confirmation of the coach's condition when it happened. 

The mini-stroke is known as a transient ischemic attack, or TIA.  "There is some decrease in the blood flow to a portion of the brain, but then there is restored blood flow to the brain and many of the symptoms, the weakness, possible drooping of the face, go back to normal again," says KTRH medical expert Dr. Joe Galati with Houston Methodist.  Essentially, TIA is a short-term stroke that can be a sign of other problems or a precursor to a more serious stroke if untreated.

Kubiak was "alert, coherent, and in good spirits" and has undergone "a battery of tests" since his hospitalization Sunday night. Dr. Galati tells KTRH the treatment and recovery time for a mini-stroke can vary depending on several factors, including the patient's age, overall health, and heart history.  "The team of doctors took care of (Kubiak) had to take a thorough look to see what was going on, and then based on sound medical information and common sense, decide when it's safe for him to come back," he says.  "Certainly football is important," says Galati.  "But certainly also is your life."

Sunday night, Wade Phillips stepped in to run the team in the interim.  Texans players spent Monday at the team's facility dealing with the first full day without their longtime leader.  Star receiver Andre Johnson says the episode has given him a fresh perspective on the importance of family over football.  Johnson also expects Kubiak to be back sooner rather than later.  "Knowing his passion for the game, I don't think he'll be able to miss a game," Johnson told reporters on Monday.  "I think if he can be out there, he will be out there."  The Texans play at the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday afternoon. 

Listen to Your Health First with Dr. Joe Galati Sundays at 7 p.m. on Newsradio 740 KTRH